Taopu Smart City, a 4.2-square-kilometer redevelopment in Northwest Shanghai, represents a significant milestone in Chinese urban planning. By definition, Smart Cities harness digital technology and intelligent design to enhance livability, workability and sustainability. Through data integration, feedback and analysis, Smart Cities improve efficiency and safety, and enrich quality of life.
The Taopu development, expected to be completed in 2022, includes a high-tech research and development park, office buildings, residential apartments, an international school and cultural space. The center of Taopu features a massive park and network of connected water features, including recreational lakes and wetlands. Meanwhile, the pedestrian friendly district is connected directly to the subway and other regional transit networks. Green building elements and digital technology will be infused into every aspect of the infrastructure and operations. Taopu is expected to have a population of 29,000 people.
As the landmark in the Northwest Shanghai urban planning zones, Taopu would set the foundation for future development and guidelines to attract investment. To insure the project’s viability and long-term success, the client sought a third-party expert to validate all details of the development plan, and government requirements.
Solution & Outcome
CBRE Consulting was commissioned in 2015 to review the Taopu Smart City plan and provide recommendations to upgrade the Taopu Smart City development. First, CBRE conducted an analysis of 10 development zones completed in China over the last 20 years in comparable locations. Combining interviews, site visits and rigorous research, CBRE analyzed planning and development parameters, including the land transactions, how construction phases were broken down, how supply levels were affected by economic trends, and the return on investment. CBRE tapped its network of developers,owners and investors to determine key mistakes made in the past, so those errors could be avoided at Taopu.
Employing extensive data analysis, CBRE Consulting also offered comprehensive recommendations for six key areas:
- transportation, including the capacity of existing streets, allocation of regional transportation resources and redesign of the street network;
- development, including land transaction and completion of municipal infrastructure, planning practices and public space design, and methods of land use;
- planning, including the integration of industrial expansion and land use structure, as well as an evaluation standard for such plans;
- property management, including ideas for the diverse and reasonable arrangement of amenities and commercial facilities in the business park;
- environmental protection, including solutions for cross contamination and disposal of hazardous waste;
- and industrial expansion, including restructure and upgrade of industry, as well as marketing and investment promotion.
CBRE Consulting’s recommendations contributed to the solution on how to upgrade Taopu Smart City. The approved plan established a blueprint for future development, and accelerated the transformation of Putuo District. As the project progresses, CBRE continues to act as a trusted advisor to the owner.